Local Episcopalians or history buffs may have recognized the decorated sanctuary in a Lower Merion Historical Society photo.
On Saturday, Patch asked readers to guess the Christmas-decorated church sanctuary shown in a Lower Merion Historical Society photo taken in 1897. Today, the answer: It's the Church of St. John in Bala Cynwyd, at 404 Levering Mill Road. The "parish history" section of the Church of St. John website tells visitors that this would have been one of the final Christmases in the wooden-frame building erected in 1863-1871. Designs for the existing stone building began that same year, 1897, and construction was completed in 1901.