Get Out: Fall Festival, Letterboxing, Choir Concert
What's going on in the Bryn Mawr-Gladwyne Patch area this weekend.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do for the weekend.
Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time. Check our picks for the activities to hit this weekend.
- When/Where: 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 20 at Bryn Mawr Film Institute
- Why Go: This epically long film clocks in at 4 hours, 32 minutes, and follows a number of interconnected stories that "wind artfully and mysteriously around issues of identity and revenge," BMFI says. There will be a 20-minute intermission during which snacks and light food will be available for purchase.
- Cost: $10 adults, $7 students and seniors, $5 members.
- When/Where: Sunday, Oct. 23 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at Rolling Hill Park, 1301 Rose Glen Road, Gladwyne. Park at the top of Rolling Hill Park and meet at the yellow cottage.
- Why Go: Letterboxing involves following written clues to find a hidden box containing a special rubber stamp to print and sometimes a hitchhiker to move to another box. You make up a letterboxing name, carry your own special stamp to print in each box you find, and can find letterboxes hidden worldwide. Join Education Director Lindsay Smith for a special day of carving stamps and taking to the trails to find Rolling Hill Park's own special letterboxes! Ages 6 and up.
- Cost: Free for LMC members, $4/person, $10/family for non-members
- When/Where: Sunday, Oct. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Barmouth Station trailhead (at the end of East Levering Mill Road off of Belmont Avenue) in Bala Cynwyd.
- Why Go: See the long awaited ribbon-cutting for the Cynwyd Heritage Trail, then enjoy a fall festival put on by the Friends of the Cynwyd Heritage Trail, with refreshments, music, and family entertainment, including pumpkin decorating and a scavenger hunt.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Harcum College
- Why Go: Harcum Craft Fair and Family Day begins at 10 a.m. with a Craft Fair in Klein Hall and continues with family activities from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Campus tours begin at 10 a.m. and noon, and a men's preseason basketball game will be held 2 p.m. at Our Mother of Good Counsel.
- Cost: Free
- When/Where: Friday, Oct. 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Proclamation Presbyterian Church, 278 S Bryn Mawr Ave, Bryn Mawr
- Why Go: The Turku Cathedral Boys' Choir is a group of 40 to 50 singers between ages 8 and 20. They perform a capella numbers and a number of well-known orchestral compositions.
- Cost: Free. A free will offering will be received to benefit the New Beginnings Academy in Chester.
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 21 from noon to 6 p.m. at Ashbridge
Memorial Park, 1301 W Montgomery Avenue, Rosemont
- Why Go: Enjoy Indian street food, try your hand at henna, and
watch dance and fashion shows (including a Bollywood performance) at this festival sponsored by Chaos and Color, a nonprofit whose goal is to contribute toward the appreciation of India through the medium of arts and culture. Any proceeds generated would be donated toward the growth and development of schools for Street Children. See the full list of events and happenings on the organization's website.
- Cost: Free